Thursday, September 26, 2013

Blog 4

    Back then, during the time of 500 B.C.E. , people in society were brought up believing in thinking one way. If you were to think anything other then what you were taught or told, you were classified as crazy and sent into exile. In the reading " The Allegory of the Cave," Plato describes people in society having no knowledge of anything other than what they're told. He uses the example of prisoners being chained and held being immobile. The only view they have is a wall with a fire behind them projecting the images from people and animals walking by. They are forced to believe that this was life; Nothing more nothing less. Until one of the prisoners were released and exposed to society. The prisoner started learning about what else was outside of the cave. Since he was being exposed to all these new things he wanted to tell the other prisoners about what he was experiencing. When he went back to share this exciting news, screaming and shouting what he knew and been through outside of the cave. The other prisoners weren't responding. He didn't realize that they didn't understand him nor knew who or what he was. I Believe Plato was trying to explain that growing up being told what and how to think, not to have your own ideas, and to learn outside of what you were taught was not the real way of living. By being exposed to different ideas and ways of life it can change society's perspective on living.
      Comparing my life to Plato's allegory, I would say my life is like the prisoner being released from the cave. My whole life I was brought up with the idea of finishing school, begin my career, get married, and finally start my family. As of right now I'm starting off at my last step. Before telling my family I was with child I felt like a prisoner awaiting their sentence. Thinking of what my parents would say was by far the scariest most nerve wrecking thing I would ever have to experience.
      When doom's day approached and the moment I came forward with my news I felt like the prisoner from the cave being released. It just so happened my parents did accept me and my new little one that was coming into the world. Like the prisoner being exposed to new things, I was getting the same treatment. From experiencing morning sickness to my parents educating me about parenthood I felt like I was taking a class and getting ready for the biggest exam of my life. Though my journey isn't finished yet I look forward to taking on this challenge of motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment